Re: Re: Corridos tuba licks?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on February 15, 2002 at 12:04:35:

In Reply to: Re: Corridos tuba licks? posted by Philip Jensen on February 15, 2002 at 10:46:38:

In Boise, Idaho there is a band that refers to itself as a mariachi band, though, as they will freely admit, they use the term to create a visual image for potential clients more than to describe their music. The instumentation is four gentlemen from Mexico playing different sized guitars (Bass/ etc.) and a handful of local gringos playing violins, trumpets, and clarinet. This is an active professional ensemble that rehearses regularly and makes a solid living.

I have been asked a few times to play with them as a sub when their Bass player is unavailable (Me on tuba). There is hand scribbled music for a few of the tunes and a few "lead sheets," but 99% of the tunes are head charts.

Apparently this music has a tradition that is passed along by imitation, not unlike jazz. Sure there are arrangements of Jazz and fakebooks, but it really is an "aural" tradition.

Funny story (to me anyway): Last year we played a gig for Mexican President Fox. He wanted to sing with the band. He requested about five songs in a row that none of us knew. Finally he asked what tunes do you know. After we told him he replied with a huge smile and said "Oh that's my most favorite song!" He sang with us for about 45 minutes. Good times.

Follow Ups: