Re: Re: Re: Re: Grant Opportunities

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rommel Cordova on February 13, 2002 at 13:14:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Grant Opportunities posted by Joe Baker on February 13, 2002 at 12:47:06:

I knew that I would be sticking my foot into a possible pool of controversy when I responded to this post. I don't normally get involved in these kinds of discussions. But here it goes.

1. The grant pays for the total cost of the commission plus the cost of a 2 day residency with the composer. The winner of the grant of course has the privlidge(sp) of premiering a new composition as well as interaction with the composer.

2. I don't know where the money comes from or who contributes

3. The only financial contributions the winner may have to put forth may be some publicity ad costs and a few other minor things.

4. I don't know

I know this probably is not much help and I am sorry. My whole point is that this is a chance to contribute something to the music profession. If you were to commission a composer to write a piece for you, you are looking at a considerble amount of money (possibly in the thousands of dollars). With this program, you are not having to pay for the commission and you dictate the type of piece you want written. If you see it as some kind of scam, then fine, don't do it. If you don't like Sy's music, fine, nobody says that you have to. I personally like his music and like the concerto which he wrote for me. Everyone has their opinion and this is mine. That is my 2.5 cents.

Rommel

Follow Ups: