Review: consequences

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carl Webster on February 11, 2002 at 10:39:26:

At Ft. Myer before the Friday evening concert a group of us headed out to the Orleans Steakhouse for dinner. During conversation Daryl Hickman, whom ya’ll just gotta get to know, asked a question; if you could have just one groups CDs on a deserted island, who would that group be? That was an easy answer for me – The Singers Unlimited. Never in the history of recorded music has there been a tighter group with more impeccable intonation, more impeccable unison, more impeccable harmonies and absolutely rock solid rhythmic accuracy. I will wager my entire CD collection that there is no other group; instrumental, vocal or mixed that can even remotely come close to The Singers Unlimited (TSU). Since my CD collection is safe, I’ll tell you about a group that is so close, my CD collection may not be that safe.

During the conference I heard a group and then acquired their CD that just amazes me at how good, no how great, no how close they are to TSU I am left bewildered. This group raises the bar of TubaEuph ensembles so high that I don’t think any other TubaEuph ensemble can ever compare to them. I always thought that The British Tuba Quartet and The Monarch Tuba-Euphonium Quartet were as good as it good gets for TubaEuph ensembles. Well no more. Sorry Steve Mead and Roger Behrend you have been dethroned. Sorry Marty Erickson but there is someone who plays tighter in an ensemble than even you. Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the world’s BEST TubaEuph ensemble – Sotto Voce.

Sotto Voce is Demondrae Thurman and Patrick Schulz on euphonium, Nat McIntosh and Mike Forbes on tubas. Never in my short life have I heard a euphonium with a sweeter sound than Demondrae. Never in my short life have I heard a more rock solid bottom than Mike Forbes (sorry Sam Pilafian). Never in my short life have I heard such tighter inside work than by Patrick and Nat. This group is as utterly amazing and astonishing as to be unbelievable if I had not heard them in person. My first thought was this recording is only this great because of digital editing work. Not at all. Listen to this group live and then listen to the CD. It is the same incredible playing. A new artist for Memorex ads has arrived! :)

WARNING: When you first play this CD, do NOT sit in front of the speakers with the volume cranked up. Within the first 5 seconds you will be deaf. The opening of Consequences, the chart, lets you know – immediately – you are listening to the best there is. All 4 players are given a virtuoso workout in Mike Forbes composition and pull it off without breaking a sweat. Listen to this chart with you eyes closed and enjoy the tightest ensemble work ever in a TubaEuph group, enjoy literally perfect intonation and enjoy the majesty of Patrick and Nat working their inside magic. Now, get the music and re-listen to the chart trying your best to follow the parts. They worked this chart up in less than a week??? You heard it from me first – you have now listened to the best TubaEuph Quartet there is. The bar is now raised so high who can compare.

Adoramus te, Christe and Petites Litanies de Jesus are the showcases for impeccable harmonies and Demondrae’s sweet, sweet sound. I swear I have sugar running out of my speakers. These charts demonstrate masterful music making, harmonies and blending of the highest magnitude. These are a must listen to for young and college level ensembles. It is possible for a TubaEuph group to sound good, blend well, have excellent intonation and not sound like a mud puddle (and in Demondrae’s case – look good).

Contrapunctus IX: one of the selections Mike Forbes used in his class on arranging for TubaEuph ensemble. Tight, tight, tight. Impressive interplay between the four players

Auburn is the Colour... I knew it!!! Mike Forbes must be a Singers Unlimited fan also. Glad I didn't bet him my newly issued 7 CD set of Singers Unlimited. Ah yes, the 1st Euphonium in the immaculate style of Bonnie Herman, Patrick and Nat sound almost as good as Don Shelton and Gene Puerling and Mike doing his best Len Dressler (aka The Jolly Green Giant voice). Nice composition Mike.

This is a most impressive first CD. With more time together I can’t even imagine how good the second CD will be. How do improve on almost perfection.

BOTTOM LINE: MUST HAVE. If you buy only one TubaEuph ensemble CD, this is it. Sorry Alchemy, BTQ, Colonial, Contraband, Dutch TQ, Melton, Monarch, Symphonia, Tennessee Tech, Tuba 4s and Tubadours. You have been bested. You have a lot of work to do to catch up to Sotto Voce. It is back to the practice room for all other groups. Sotto Voce is the world champion. Congratulations guys for a most excellent CD.

CD: consequences
Artist: sotto voce
Catalog #: Summit DCD 322

Where to buy:

Mike Forbes
4615 Glasgow Dr.
Rockville, MD 20853

Carl Webster

Follow Ups: