Re: Gronitz PCK

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on February 07, 2002 at 15:39:34:

In Reply to: Gronitz PCK posted by Joe on February 07, 2002 at 14:58:59:

I've played both the PCK, and the PCM at Lowbrasswerks. IMHO, both horns are a steal for the price. They blow very freely, and are very even from bottom to top. I didn't take time to play them against a tuner, but I can tell you that Tony Clements is a real stickler for intonation. Needless to say, so is Tommy Johnson (duh!). The problem is, as I understand it, is that Gronitz doesn't put out too many horns each and every year. You may have to wait a while to try one, but give Tony a call. He'll give you an honest and realistic timeline. I've noticed that the tuba place in North Carolina (sorry, I've just forgotten its name at the moment, that's all) is also calling itself a Gronitz dealer. My only less than perfect comment about the PCK is that it's a very wide horn. If I were to purchase one, I think I would consider using a DEG type stand with it. However, when Tony and I played duets, he played it on his chair with no further assistance, and I didn't notice him struggling with the horn at all.

I did play Tony's hand built Yorkbrunner also, and I did think that it was a slightly better overall machine, but not by a lot. And, as you know, it's a far, far more expensive machine as well. In conclusion, I think that the PCK is very serious contender in the BAT-man competition.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: