Re: not _her_ AGAIN

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on February 06, 2002 at 09:07:48:

In Reply to: not _her_ AGAIN posted by lesley on February 05, 2002 at 23:52:33:

One method for cleaning silver that I have been told works well is baking soda and aluminum foil. You lightly wrap the instrument in alumium foil, put it is a tuba of hot water, and add baking soda (I seem to remember it being a cup per gallon of water). The baking soda creates a chemical reaction with the aluminum that pulls the tarnish off of the silver. I haven't tried it, but I am told that it works.

What has worked well for me is Tarn-X. This is a liquid silver "dip." Make sure to wear gloves if you use this and work in a well ventilated area. I use disposable foam brushes to get into tight areas. Just follow the directions on the container. You will need more than 1 bottle for a large tuba. This removes all but the toughest tarnish, and helps prevent tarnish from re-appearing. Once the tarnish is removed you can polish the silver with a non-abrasive polish like Wrights or Hagman. Be very careful with the gold in the bell, it is a very thin layer and can easily be totally polished away, even with a polishing cloth alone.

Follow Ups: