Re: Valve Noise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on February 06, 2002 at 01:53:16:

In Reply to: Valve Noise posted by Keving on February 05, 2002 at 23:34:54:

So far all the advise stated make sense ('cept for that hammer comment!). If you teacher thinks the back bearing needs to be reset, it may be because he/she has already thought of the other remedies. Now JS should chime in here, but let me see if I can explain this proceedure. The rotors are held in place by the bottom bearing. This bearing is designed to fit tightly in place, and thus hold the rotor tightly, thus no noise. Should this become loose, the rotor will develope noise. Pounding the bearing in tighter may well stop the noise, but then again it may lock the rotor in place. It is best to remove the rotor completly, clean the whole horn well, and replace with the bearings (top and bottom) well oiled before fitting into place. The tollerances of the bearings are such that when they get dry they are difficult to get well oiled. When installing rotors, I use a very light rawhide hammer (very light) and one half a clothespin to 'press' the bottom plate into place. It takes me a lot longer than it would say JS, but then again I did not purshase my horn from him and doubt he would do the job for me.

I once pulled and cleaned all my rotors only to discover the noise was coming from a slightly loose stop plate! If you have not done this it would be worth while to pay someone to do it and watch if you can (they usually charge more if you watch). If your mirafone is getting noisy, chances are good that it could use a good professional cleaning.

Follow Ups: