Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BB industry!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B Harvey on March 01, 2001 at 02:52:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: BB industry! posted by Chuck Jackson on February 28, 2001 at 23:54:38:

Nope, I'm not making this stuff up. It's all from the Tuba Source Book. Winston Morris is the backbone of my info. And as far as recording goes, the CC tuba wasn't the inovative instrument that made recording the tuba easier. It was the bell front recording bell that was popular in recording because the bell projected the sound at the microphone rather than straight up like an upright bell. And, in fact, the recording bell was most popular on the BBb tuba as the tubas were made to change the bells back and forth from the upright to the recording bell, like the 2341 model of the King. I do agree with you when you say that it doesn't matter what you play, it matters what kind of talent you have on whatever instrument you play. That's the real issue at bar. Whether you play a BBb or a CC, the only thing that matters is if you can play better than the person sitting next to you. That's what wins you auditions. You don't win auditions by playing a CC tuba. Ask Ross Tolbert of the Minnesota Orchestra. He plays an Alexander BBb tuba and he beat out Perantoni for the Boston audition, although Chester won, but he also won the Minnesota job by beating out Chuck Daellenbach and a bunch of other CC tuba players. Like you said, it just goes to show you, it doesn't matter what you play, it matters how you play.

Follow Ups: