Re: Re: Wanted: Yamaha 621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 28, 2001 at 12:07:12:

In Reply to: Re: Wanted: Yamaha 621 posted by Rick on February 27, 2001 at 21:31:57:

I play a YBB-621S. It was an "almost new" B-Stock instrument and cost about $4500 (with case and mpc) a little over two years ago. It's a *very* nice instrument - the only limitation I've found is that it's not big enough to serve as the ONLY tuba in a large band. If I ever get to the point where that is a serious possibility, I expect to be in the market for a BAT to supplement the YBB-621S. In the meantime, it works very well in a multi-tuba section, and in smaller ensembles.

I have play-tested the Weril. In my opinion, the Weril may have been "inspired" by the YBB-621, but it is in no sense a "copy". For me, the difference in price between the Yamaha and the Weril is more than justified.

In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) the Weril sounds like what most people *expect* the Yamaha to sound like. The Yamaha sound surprises people who have not heard it before. The Weril does not surprise them.

Finally, Yamahas are renowned for sample-to-sample consistency. I have seen at least one Weril in very good condition. I have also seen (and heard of) Werils that were not in very good condition.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

visit my home page to see the YBB-621S in action...

Follow Ups: