Re: Why do Meinl-Weston valves suck?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ryan Scott on February 28, 2001 at 01:46:40:

In Reply to: Why do Meinl-Weston valves suck? posted by Dan Bradley on February 26, 2001 at 16:17:39:

Daniel, I have the same exact problem. My 2155 is two years old, bought from Dillon, and by the way I still love this horn, it sounds great, just the valves aren’t great. My valves worked great for a year or so, and then something began to change. I didn't do anything negative to my valves like drop them, they just started to need more oil and grease to keep them moving smoothly. I use three different types of oils; this stuff my old teacher called Banana oil (I don't know why), and its real name is T2 and comes with a blue pointed cap. I use Alcass and then there's this mystery mix that Chris Olka showed me how to make when I was in High School... take 2/3rds regular valve oil and the other 1/3 10W40 motor oil. I put only a drop or two on each valve when they screw with me. What this oil does is fill the gaps that can be uncovered by thinner valve oils. Here's another problem I'm having, my valve guides, they are chipping away to nothing. Now why would that be? My friend Ron Bishop just bought a Pro2000 and after playing it in the band for a month he had to order new valve guides from Dillon, his valves were one small accident from the guides breaking and his valve spinning around in circles. His valves are basically fine again, though they still gum up like mine. Chris Olka used to play on a 2145 when he was in his undergrad in Orlando... after winning a national solo competition Gerherd Meinl some how got in touch with Chris to congratulate him, and after complaining about his valves, Chris received a new set of valves free of charge. Now this to me says that Gerhard knows his valves aren't the best. Actually, they are pretty crappy when compared to Wilson valves or Hirsbrunner.

Ace, just wait till your valves have been broken in… to say that you are surprised by Dan’s valves not being perfect after playing a brand new Meinl is silly, of course yours are going to work better, so did mine and I bet his too.

“hmm...”, answer this for me then… I make sure that when I put my valves in their casings that the springs are basically sitting in the center of the piston’s bottom. I never take my valves out when the horn is sitting on its bell; the horn is always sitting down on my lap, also I never let my pistons drop. Do you think this can still be explained by your weak spring theory? Also, Ron’s new valves, he showed me how the plastic on his valve guides were protruding, so I agree that this can happen, he solved it by filing it down a bit with his pocketknife.

Follow Ups: