Re: Re: This is annoying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on February 27, 2001 at 22:48:31:

In Reply to: Re: This is annoying posted by Scott on February 27, 2001 at 12:13:41:

I agree with Scott, give it some time and the sensitivity should subside. That's been my experience with a chipped front tooth, funny story that one is actually.
Some of us were (barely) sentient in the early 70's. In 1971 I was playing in my high school band, using one of the Conn 2x-J-something tubas that are so very coveted today (at the time I thought it was junk and lusted for one of those german Mirror-phones.)
Anyway, while the rest of the section and I were, um, under the influence, one of the boys startled me and I reflex-jerked into the bell, chipped an incisor, 1/3 of the tooth gone, and a nice burr on the edge of the bell rim. Well, it hurt, obviously, and I got a temp/plug put into the tooth-core-hole that afternoon. Not to worry, except two weeks later when it was time to have the plug pulled and the tooth properly porcelain-ized, I'd forgotten about the appointment and ...you guessed it...I was, um, under the influence again (the kind of influence where you hear things but don't know if you are really hearing them or only imagining them and see patterns and the notes dancing on the page and the like remember it was 1971.) THAT 40 minutes in the dentist chair (after band practice) was the longest week of my LIFE! Moral? Teeth when damaged can hurt. Playing around in rehearsal can hurt you too (and obviously so can certain substances that thankfully no smart kid plays around with anymore now-a-days.) Thankfully the stuff I was taking then had NO effect on the longevity, or pain sensitivity of the porcelain rework to my tooth. It's held up near 30 years, although the coffee habit I acquired in college HAS stained it a bit. While it IS occasionally sensitive, that comes only very infrequently and usually subsides for another 3-5 years, I NEVER chew ice anymore and when it's hurting I avoid cold things: ice cream and iced tea and the like. Stay away from sens-o-dyne-type products.

f.w.i.w.

dp

Follow Ups: