Re: Couesnon Eb Horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on February 27, 2001 at 15:18:18:

In Reply to: Couesnon Eb Horn posted by Dave Siegfried on February 27, 2001 at 11:23:22:

Several years ago now, I entered the Eb fray by purchasing a small Eb Holton, with exactly the characteristics you describe. Cost me $350, with no mouthpiece, but a fine hardboard case. On the side of the bell, away from the Holton logo, it said 'Made in France'. Obvious speculation: made by Couesnon (with whom Holton has a business connection, I think). I could not find an off-the-shelf mouthpiece to fit it, so I had an old CONN #3 turned down. Worked, but unsatisfactory. I wound up taking it to Matt at Dillon's, who grafted a Conn receiver on the leadpipe. I then experimented until I wound up using a Conn Helleberg 7B.

Then I had to endure the indignity of hearing my wife complain every time I practiced: "You playing that damn bass trumpet again? It sure doesn't sound like a tuba."

I finally traded it away for 1/2 a Conn 26K Eb sousaphone (bad bell). I still have the sousy (with a used bell from Dillon's graveyard). It doesn't look great, but it plays just fine.

For comparison, look at the 3pv upright Conn Eb's on Dillon's website. They used to have three of them, asking $695, $795, and $895.

So there are two data points: $350 for the Holton I bought and 7/8/9 hundred for a 3upright pv Conn.

My 2 cents?
If you like it for parades, get an american size mp receiver put on so you can try lots of mouthpieces until you find one that works best. Then play it for all it's worth.
If you don't like it, don't put any money in it. Offer it for sale, or see if you can trade it, maybe for a couple of good mouthpieces.

jlb

Follow Ups: