Re: Any Salvation Army bandsmen out there

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on February 25, 2001 at 17:54:45:

In Reply to: Any Salvation Army bandsmen out there posted by Ben on February 24, 2001 at 09:23:51:

I am not an SA member myself, but I have worked with a small local group, helping to start a brass band. I have learned a lot about the movement from playing in a secular school brass band. My undergraduate teacher wrote his dissertation on the use of the euphonium in SA music, and I learned quite a bit from there.
The band I worked with was not a "full-blown" brass band, but rather a group of about six to eight beginners. The local corps wanted to start a band because of the rich traditions the bands play in the "Army". The group I worked with mainly played for services on Sunday morning, and the occasional Christmas celebration downtown, the famous "outdoor scene".
There are what are known as "Staff Bands", some of which are larger Salvation Army groups. The New York Staff Band is one, as well as the Canadian Staff Band, and those two may be a good starting point if you would like to research some music. I know that the NY Band has released CDs, and many of the other groups have as well. Sometimes these groups tour, so perhaps they have or will be playing in your area.
In the US, Jim Curnow is perhaps one of the best known SA composers. Check out the North American Brass Band Association website for some leads on others: www.nabba.org
There are several good sources of info there, as well as links to brass bands in general.
As far as music written for SA bands specifically, there is an entire library of it. It used to only be available to SA groups, but now has been made available to public bands as well. A great majority of this music is based on hymn-tunes, and sacred music. Music for every situation is available from the SA.
Hope this gives you a little bit of information on what you are seeking. you may want to check with the Salvation Army corps in your area to see if they have a functioning ensemble. This can also be a good place to start.

Follow Ups: