Re: Ask the Tuba Player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ivan on February 25, 2001 at 11:46:48:

In Reply to: Ask the Tuba Player posted by Bill Y. on February 25, 2001 at 00:08:38:

A few years back I had to create a cannon sound for Civial War Fantase, My principal had major problem with us using guns or anything that looked like guns in the show. So I had to come up with a big boom. I was also in charge of concessions and when I started thinking this is what I came up with.
We took the CO2 bottle fromm the concessions stand (1400 psi) and a heavy duty air compresser hose Looked long and hard for connections to
put on either end of the hose (these are a little hard to find a match with a CO2 bottle top, but they are out there) We then found a pipe
the size of a 2 litter plastic pop bottle . Drill a hole in the top of the bottle insert the brass nossle, use washers on either side of the 2 litter top
and tighten down the nossle in the lid, Screw the lid on the 2 litter, put 2 litter in pipe , face towards wall, or better yet the corner of the hall.
Put weight on the hose (50lbs) so it doesn't flip around and kill a kid. put CO2 bottle in back with percussion the have to be just a little ahead
of the beat. but man does it make a boom.

The only problem would be that you need many booms. Maybe you could have many bottles ready to go and use quick connects for the brass
fittings. This worked about 95% of the time to make a very big BOOM!!!

Good Luck

Follow Ups: