Prokofiev Research Project

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Sutherland on February 25, 2001 at 01:37:44:

I may currently working on a presentation for a masters program at UCLA. It involves a tuba player's view on interpretation and performance practice of Prokofiev's 5th Symphony. Now, I realize that this subject has been touched on before, but I need to go more in depth than 'should I take the D, Eb, and E natural down the octave?' What I am looking for is information on the circumstances that may have caused Prokofiev to write in some of the octave displacement, differences in phrasing between various instruments, etc. This will hopefully help to better determine the intent of the composer and consequently give freedom to change some aspects of the part in order to express that intent.

Some questions:
Who played this part orginally in the Moscow State Philharmonic (1945) and what was the likely instrument used (BBb or EEb, 3 or 4 valves, etc.)?

Did Prokofiev orchestrate this symphony himself? If not, who?

What was the primary text used in Russia at the time on the topic of orchestration (assuming there is another besides the Rimsky-Korsakov) and what did it say about the tuba's characteristics and range?

What are some of the possible reasons for phrasing instruments differently for the same line? Is there more to it than just allowing for staggered breathing between different instruments?

All of these are different avenues I'm trying to explore, especially the orchestator. There seems to be some differences in his orchestration techniques between his time in Europe and when he returned to Russia. Also, Prokofiev may have had others orchestrate because some didn't care for his orchestations, particularly Shostacovich!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Follow Ups: