Re: Pls read before flaming: BBb vs. CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on February 24, 2001 at 18:31:19:

In Reply to: Pls read before flaming: BBb vs. CC? posted by Steve Inman on February 24, 2001 at 13:46:53:

I often hear people talk about the different overtones etc from different pitced tubas. But when you play a note on a tuba, while it may be created on a different overtone series on the instrument, the overtones that that specific note is creating is still going to be the same. The note is the note. You have to play it in tune.

Actually the size of the instrument and shape of the bore and mouthpiece will effect the prominence of higher overtones or lower overtones. This is what creates the tone quality of the instrument, and makes a large BBb sound different than a small F for example, but that should not effect the pitch.

Now before I get blown off the BBS, please understand that these are the ramblings of a musician and not a physicist or acoustician and I could be wrong. Also my explanation may leave alot to be desired from a technical aspect. If anyone out there is tubenetia can explain it better, please do so.

ken "I could be way off base too" k

Follow Ups: