Re: Percussionist seeks info for tubist son

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on February 22, 2001 at 12:33:59:

In Reply to: Percussionist seeks info for tubist son posted by Mark on February 22, 2001 at 10:49:39:

I would buy a good quality used horn, like a Conn 12J(3 valves), 15J(3 valves), 5J(4 valves) or a King 2340(3 valves) or 2341(4 valves), and try to find one for less than $2000. The 3 valve horns should cost around $1500 and 4 valve horns around $2000 - $2500. A 4th valve is preferable for intonation and range, but not critical for a beginner. A used horn is just more cost effective. If he decides to go further with the instrument you should be able to get your money out of a used horn like this and move to a higher end horn for $3000 - $4000 or more. I know that Taylor music has some horns like this, and Dillon Music has a selection of used BBb horns on their site. Check the other shops listed on this site for other shops with used horns.

The Conns mentioned above are smaller horns and the King is larger and heavier, so keep that in mind. You may be able to find older Besson/Boosey & Hawkes, or Olds horns in the same price range, which would be good alternatives. I agree that the Miraphone, Jupiter, and VMI horns are all good, but you are less likely to find them used, and if you do they will be more expensive.

Follow Ups: