Re: A Rim Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 22, 2001 at 08:19:10:

In Reply to: A Rim Question posted by Tim on February 22, 2001 at 01:46:11:

Your observation intrigued me so I went and gathered the info on all the mouthpieces I use fairly regularly to see if the rims were similar. I should point out that I've heard this theory of using the same rim before and while I think it might be a good idea, I don't think that it is an imperative. More important, at least in my thinking, is finding a mouthpiece that really works well with the horn it's plugged into. That said, I discovered that all my current mouthpieces have a rim measurement between 1.283" and 1.295". I find this a little surprising because I made no conscious effort to make sure the rims were the same size when I was choosing mouthpieces to try out. I found all the mouthpieces I currently use by simple trial and error. It is purely by chance that they all have roughly the same rim diameter. I wonder if a variation of .012" between the largest and smallest mouthpieces would be what Mr. Jacobs would have considered "the same". I also wonder if his theory is in practice in all of us. Isn't it likely that if you find a rim diameter that feels comfortable, when you're trying out other mouthpieces they won't feel good to you unless they have a very similar diameter? Perhaps this dictum is a matter of common sense more than anything. I'd be curious to hear what others think on this topic. After reading about Rick Denney's experience with Doug Eliott, I'm curious to go through a similar session to see where my current mouthpiece selections line up with Doug's thinking.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: