Re: Re: Re: Cerveny 693 BBb Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DaveC on February 21, 2001 at 18:12:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Cerveny 693 BBb Tuba posted by DaveC -- MW Eb impressions? on February 21, 2001 at 07:03:56:

Steve
I've been following you quest for the perfect Eb with interest, because I am in the same boat. I did buy the MW 2141 last March and am very happy with it. I do notice a few quirks in the intonation. I used 4 for 4th line F, 3 for 2nd space C and for Enatural above that. Lately I've noticed that my 3rd space Eb was so sharp I needed to use 2345 for exposed notes (UGH!!). However, I switched from a Dennis Wick MPC to the Dillon Sheridan Mpc (I think it is #3). It seems that Eb is a finicky instrument as far as mouthpieces go. I've read in this forum Pat Sheridan say that about his Besson. The PS mouthpiece brings the Eb octave closer and is FAR SUPERIOR mouthpiece to the DW or Schilke I was previously using. It's very much like a Perantucci mpc that my Yamaha F-tuba playing buddy has. I am finally settling into this tuba, a very nice instrument.

After all that typing and after a year of learning to like my MW, I've gotten a Willson to try on spec. It's Marty Erikson's old demo horn and I can get a steal from DEG if I like it. I've only ever heard good things about the Willson, and I tend to agree. The intonation is VERY GOOD, it is a more centered tuba, I can articulate more clearly on it, and I think it projects better. It has a bigger bore throughout than the MW ( the 5th rotor is .830" !!) but it does not play like a big tuba. I have a feeling that I'm going to sell the MW, but only because I can't afford to keep it and buy the Willson, as much as I would like to have both. The MW is like a CC tuba, in that it has a big, round sound (I bought it while I still had the Cerveny I described above, which influenced my decision), while the Willson has a stronger sound with more "core." The two tubas are different enough to make the decision difficult, yet similar enough to not justify keeping both.

I have always come to the defense of the MW2141, and will continue to do so. It is a well-made instrument with wonderful playing characteristics and a gorgeous sound. Yes it has quirks, but I am an amateur player and I have learned how to cope with those quirks, and have even cured some with a new mouthpiece. If your budget allows paying more for a Willson or a Nirschl (a fine instrument I tried at Ft. Meyer and which is similar to the Willson, as far as I could tell there), I would get them. However, for around $4700 or so, the MW is probably the best Eb tuba per dollar than anything else. In my opinion.

Follow Ups: