Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What are good colleges for tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 20, 2001 at 18:50:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What are good colleges for tuba? posted by Sean Chisham on February 20, 2001 at 18:21:46:

This is such good advice I just had to chime in! Nothing against smaller schools but your best chance of actually experiencing any competition is at a big school. Competition, like it or not, is the name of the game. It is through the competitive process that you will or will not get a job. Mastery of the audition is the means of advancement in our field. And if you can't win the top spot in your college (small, big, or otherwise), you may have trouble winning a job in the real world. What better chance to get experience auditioning for chairs than in a big studio where there are many very fine players who are also working and training to do the same job as you are? I always advise my students to get into the largest studio they can because I know they're learning every day in that environment. They have lessons with a great teacher, sit next to really promising peers, and compete for chairs at an advanced level. This kind of exposure will also define your attitude and personal drive regarding being a symphony player.

Don't be afraid of the fire, tempering can be a good thing!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: