Re: "Rotax" rotors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 19, 2001 at 20:14:13:

In Reply to: "Rotax" rotors posted by Austin H. on February 19, 2001 at 15:28:51:

Hey Austin!

***(Psst...[to everyone else]...I used to teach this amazing young guy, and he will be taking over one of your jobs, some day. He ABSOLUTELY is a butt-kickin' [but quite politely so!] tuba player - already unquestionably the best in his state.)

Those large diameter Swiss "Rotax" rotors actually have the shape of tubing going through them, instead of just chopped-out "compromise" shapes to let the air pass through. The idea is a freer-blowing valve. Honesty, I'm not sure if I can tell the difference, although there just "happens" to be an incredible difference in the way that, say, a Hirsbrunner 21 CC tuba plays (4 pistons + a "standard" rotor) and a Willson CC tuba (4 pistons + a "Rotax" valve) as far as the characteristic of an "open" low range.

-> note to Austin: Show your Dad the Mirafone 188 CC that I am selling for someone on ebay. Your Dad did an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING job of building you that jumbo CC using an old Conn BBb body, a Mirafone Kaiser bell, and a Nirschl valveset, but the 188 would play a LOT easier for you, particularly on those difficult solos that you have mastered.

Follow Ups: