Re: What are good colleges for tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on February 19, 2001 at 15:54:47:

In Reply to: What are good colleges for tuba? posted by Zach on February 19, 2001 at 11:25:31:

Many people will say Eastman, Julliard, Indiana, Arizona, Ithaca, USC, UCLA, and no doubt they're one of the best for tuba, but I didn't even think about trying out for those because of money and that it's mostly for grad stuff; meaning that lots of grad students, meaning that they will get all the ensembles and most likely you'll start being in ensembles your senior year. Of course, if you make it in, that's great! A big name school.

But there are also other schools that are cheaper where you can get great GREAT attention and lessons. Such ones include:

-UNI, of Iowa with Dr. Jeff Funderburk (I met him in Tokyo once. Great guy. Very nice, amazing player, amazing and very good teacher, and will definately work you). He'll give you a hardcore 4 year workout.

-Cal State Long Beach with Doug Turnquist of LA Phil. Enough said.

I'm sure there are a lot more, I just know anymore than this. I go to Biola University, a Christian university. Believe it or not, I thought cuz it's a Christian U that it wouldnt' have a good music program but it's very decent. It's one of the top ones in southern Cali. I'm learning from John Van Houten, and those of you in southern Cali should know him and the name says enough. Played in many soundtracks. Hope this helps, man.

-W

Follow Ups: