Re: Rotary removal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on February 18, 2001 at 01:06:21:

In Reply to: Rotary removal posted by Ike H. on February 16, 2001 at 12:53:10:

Thanks for all the responses, guys. And the site with the diagram, I think, was the one I had seen before. Seems like it was on the FAQ for the tubaeuph list, but didn't see it this time. I think it definitely needs to be there.

Anyway, the job is a little more than halfway done. This horn was improperly stored for a number of years and there was LOTS of sludge and corrosion on the rotors and casings, especially that busy 1st valve. Went through a lot of Lime-Away, brass polish, Lava soap (lapping), and Binak to get that puppy freed up. Just need to let the oil do it's thing now. I use it on my piston horn and know it will be a big improvement when it gets set into the valve system and cleans out further residue.

I'm glad to finally know how to do this disassembly. It's good to be able to do some things to make your instrument function better. I've learned to set-up work on my basses over the years, and it gives you a little peace of mind to know you don't have to call a repair person every time something goes awry. Saves money, too! ;>)

Follow Ups: