BSO Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck E on February 17, 2001 at 13:33:09:

After reading through earlier posts regarding the upcoming BSO audition, I am inspired to salute our colleague Richard (S.) as a voice of reason, wisdom, and as one of our most important Keepers Of The History of matters that bring us to this website.
I had the great fortune of studying tuba with Chester Schmitz at the University of Iowa summer music camp during the summer of 1961, following my sophomore year at United Township High School in East Moline Illinois. Though still a college student, Chester was already being accorded a "legendary player" status by faculty and students. His winning of the BSO position a few years later was not the least bit surprising to those of us who had been witness to the tonal clarity and beauty, the accuracy, the technical facility, and the musicality which has always characterized Chester's playing.
It's hard to believe that Chester's great career with the BSO is now ending. I do have confidence that the torch will be passed on, fairly, to a worthy successor - perhaps someone well-known, or perhaps someone, like Chester, who has to knock several times just to get in the door.

Chuck "Getting A Little Long Of Tooth" England

Follow Ups: