Re: Re: Re: Re: trend

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 16, 2001 at 23:19:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: trend posted by Steve Dedman on February 16, 2001 at 18:04:30:

I really wonder how many patrons are distressed with a canned pit?

Those folks go to these shows to look and listen to singers/actors. When I play these shows, I am asked to wear SOLID PLAIN BLACK (NOT a tuxedo). If it didn't have obvious racial connotations, I wouldn't be surprised if they would even ask me to even black my face. (I've even been asked [REQUIRED] to black my MUTES!!!) All of that means: "DON'T BE NOTICED!" The only time the pit could really garner any attention would be when the band STINKS.

I enjoy playing these shows, and they actually pay well enough to show the instrumental musician (as a craftsman) some degree of respect. However, the REAL test of whether live accompaniments will survive in these shows will not be due to the efforts of any pickets, I fear. My belief is that if the audience accepts a canned pit and still buys the tickets, canned pits will proliferate.

The temptation to use technology is almost unavoidable. For instance, think of all of the amazing performances of classical music that are available for purchase by "nobody" artists these days. Without digital editing technology (for instance), what percentage of those recordings would be marketable? How many concerts have many of us attended based on performing artists' recordings only to find that "live" those artists are incapable of playing ten straight measures without "goofs"? (Granted, there are other artists who are more amazing in person that they are on their recordings.)

Getting back to the canned pit issue, when shows come through our town the shows' (touring) pianists are consistently lavishing praise such as "Wow! You guys REALLY just read that right down." or "That's the best opening night pit performance so far on the tour." I know this sounds like bragging, but bragging is absolutely not the point here: The point is that we really didn't execute "perfect" readings nor "perfect" opening nights. They go on to tell horror stories about other pit orchestras in other cities. I'm sure that in cities such as Chicago, Cincinatti, San Diego, etc., these touring companies usually end up with excellent pits, but what about (no specific insults intended - My city, Memphis, is on this list of "suspects" too.) cities such as Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Winston-Salem, etc., etc? ...and what about the 350-pound second violinist who walks right up to the show's music director on opening night three minutes before curtain complaining about where she had to park and how much it cost?, or the tenor sax/bassoon/bass clarinet guy who shows up drunk for every show?, etc. Maybe if these touring companies CONSISTANTLY found top drawer reading and playing pit musicians in every city on their tours, canned pits would have never occurred to them.

OK, Go ahead and flame...

Follow Ups: