Re: tuning for doublers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on February 16, 2001 at 22:50:36:

In Reply to: tuning for doublers posted by Scott on February 12, 2001 at 13:07:04:

Hi,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the advice given in some of these follow ups, as they tend to focus on the mouthpiece as the culprit.

Most tuba players who play trombone or euphonium do so with a relatively slack embrochure. This gives you a more tuba-like sound on the smaller instrument, but there is a good chance that it is merely a self-gratifying "big" sound. In other words, a flubby sound which probably does not actually sound like the instrument you are actually trying to play is supposed to. A tone which is lacking in color will also tend to disappear into the ensemble sound by the time it gets to the audience.

If you really want to double, I think you need to make your primary instrument the one you happen to be holding in your hands at the moment. Joe Schmoe in the audience couldn't care less if you are playing your "second" instrument. Make the euphonium sound the way a "real" euphonium player would. This will result in a firmer embrochure. The firmer embrochure will bring up the pitch on the instrument, allowing you to tune sharp if you need to. It will also add some character to your sound, which will make it more interesting to listen to. (I believe that we all tend to obsess over having a huge sound, and the usual result is a mono-chromatic, boring, generic tuba sound - but that's another diatribe...)

Also, my guess about your tuba pitch is that your euphonium playing has resulted in a slightly less relaxed air/embrochure combination on your tuba. Just as you have to believe that you're a euph player when you are holding a euph, when you are holding a tuba, forget about the euph and remember that big, beautiful, relaxed tuba sound.

If you concentrate on the proper quality of sound for each instrument and don't spend a load of time thinking about what your face feels like, or which mouthpiece you should use to bend the pitch this way or that way, you will sound more convincing on both instruments, and the pitch should correct itself.

Hope that helps. It works for me (I'm a jobbing bass trombone doubler).

Follow Ups: