Re: FF/EEb in Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on February 15, 2001 at 02:19:16:

In Reply to: FF/EEb in Band? posted by David on February 13, 2001 at 16:17:18:

I really think it depends on the group, conductor, players (both numbers and style) and literature...but having said that, I currently play in a wind ensemble of 50 players that is comparable to a very good college wind ensemble. I play a Besson Eb 983 and my cohort plays a 5/4 size CC. We are both fairly accomplished players and I have found that our sound together matches the group well. We do play contemporary literature by the likes of Maslanka and Maw as well as the standard Grainger and Vaughn Williams repertoire. Since there is a great deal of divsi, (in the case of "American Games" by Maw, two separate parts) limited doubling of other parts throughout the group and good use of sound color and dynamics within the group I feel we have found the best sound and flexibility with this ensemble. I will also say that the sound I tend to get on my Eb is comparable to a small CC, this may differ from player to player. So, try it sometime if you feel it may help the ensemble.

Now, to contradict, I am a past member of one of the DC bands and we seldom used the bass tuba/contrabass duo. I think John's point about the Marine Band in reference to size was also our consideration. I did see the Army Band when Jeff Arwood was principal using Eb's on a steady basis, but they also had more tubas in the concert band than we employed. I think it is safe to say most, if not nearly all of the time the preference is to use CC's in the DC bands. And yes, playing a small horn on your solo is ok for the audition, but we always wanted to hear a CC on the excerpts and sight reading. Sound is still the key!

But what it will always come down to is what does the conductor want and are the players playing the right instrument to help acheive this. I will dare to say that none of this will matter, regardless of the instruments used, if the musicianship level of the players is not on par with the expectations of the conductor.

Certainly only my $.02!

Mark

Follow Ups: