Re: Re: Women in orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SD on February 13, 2001 at 14:22:07:

In Reply to: Re: Women in orchestras posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2001 at 13:35:51:

Hey Rick,

You know my wife seems to think that tuba is a geeky instrument for boys and girls of any age. Or maybe she just means me! I think that you are completely right about directors and the impact they have on tuba players.

When I was in seventh grade I went to a Catholic school that did not have a string program. I had played violin for three years and enjoyed it. I decided I was going to be a drummer (hey I was 12, I did not know any better). The director looked at me and said "You are kind of a big guy why don't you try the tuba?" I got suckered in and have loved it ever since.

I believe that the ket is encouraging kids to play the instrument they want to play at first. If that does not work...a little nudge can go a long way. I try to play for the younger students that arenot in band as much as possible so that they may want to try tuba. Girl or boy, everyone should have the right to play the world's most perfect instrument.

Follow Ups: