Anthony Kniffen Recital

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on February 12, 2001 at 23:00:23:

I just returned home after listening to a stellar performance by Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra tubist Tony Kniffen. Performing a recital entitled "German Music on the Tuba (without Oom-pah)" as part of the Faculty Artist Series at the University of Indianapolis, Tony played several pieces of either Germanic origin, or style. All pieces were performed on his (B&S??) 5 rotary valve F tuba. The accompanist was Dr. Rebecca Sorley, who also did a superb job on piano.

The program was:
Konzert Rondo Fuer Horn -- Mozart
Variations in Olden Style (After Bach) -- Thomas Stevens
Bluebells auf Deutschland -- Arthur Pryor
Sonata fuer Tuba -- Hindemith
Concerto No. 1 fuer Horn -- Richard Strauss

It was great to hear a masterful performance on a German F tuba. It really was eye-opening to hear this particular "voice" or concept. The sound Tony created with his F tuba was a completely different sound than I heard coming from the Yamaha F tubas I tested last week. (I *strongly* suspect the player may have some significance here . . . .) So I enjoyed the performance for the fantastic level of musicianship, and the beauty of Tony's solo work, as well as to get a chance to hear an excellent example of the "German F tuba concept" for a future (distant, albeit) target to aim for.

I hope a few of you in the Indianapolis area were able to attend.

Regards,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: