Re: Re: 5th valve options & benefits?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Thanks Joe Inman on February 09, 2001 at 23:34:30:

In Reply to: Re: 5th valve options & benefits? posted by Joe S. on February 08, 2001 at 21:25:21:

Thanks for your observations on 6 valve F tubas. Of course having both a 5th and 6th valve tuned for use with the key of CC (i.e. to "go with" the 4th valve) would offer more precise tuning, wouldn't it? If we had 7 valves, we'd have almost a complete double horn, which would be even better, but more complicated. Your explanation was the first that made sense to me, by linking the "long 1st valve", "long 2nd valve" as being simply 1st and 2nd valves with proper tubing length to play in tune in the transposed key of CC, which you get when you use the 4th valve lever. Excellent explanation! The light goes on! Eureka! (etc.)

I also understand Jay B's question as to why Eb tubas don't seem to need the 6th valve. It is a puzzle.

Since my desire for purchasing an F tuba would be for use to cover 2nd 'bone parts in a quartet and quintet, I do not belive I will be playing excessive low register music with this tuba. Hence a 5V horn would probably be adequate. I suppose I could start saving up for a PT-16 for some time in the future? (Isn't that the one with 6 valves?)

I did play the 6V Miraphone Monday, but was disappointed with the weak CC and BBb notes. While I respect those who have figured out how to play these notes with more gusto, my personal opinion is to consider much more strongly purchasing an F tuba that you don't have to struggle and practice for months to play any note (except the high ones!). With the YFB-621 and YFB-822, these notes seemed very robust (also true with the Willson F, and I've heard, with the PT-15). I would give much more emphasis to purchasing an F tuba with strong notes in the area around low CC/BBb with 5 valves than I would with 6 valves and theoretically better intonation but with weak "money" notes.

That's my viewpoint after a few years with a Besson 983 and the additional "challenge" of the extra air resistance in the compensating low register. Why spend time and effort with extra practice to compensate for an undesireable trait of the instrument? I'm beginning to seek an instrument with similar characteristics without the annoying trait! I've got better things to do with my time than try to master an instrument that's more difficult to play in some aspect than it "should" be. Remember, futility is defined as doing something well that doesn't have to be done at all. (From "Demotivators" calendar, courtesy of despair.com.)

Thanks,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: