Cerveny helicon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on February 08, 2001 at 19:01:07:

Hello All,

(cross posted to tubaeuph - I hope that's OK)
My parents were "antiquing" and came across a shop that had a number of brass instruments, including what they reported back to me as a Sousaphone. I asked them to go back and take some pictures which they scanned and sent to me. According to the shop owner they purchased them in Germany. They consider them decorative items!

You can't see it in the pictures, but my parents said the 4th valve tubing is missing. They weren't sure if it is the main tuning slide
or just the 4th valve slide.

The first three valves rotated freely, 4th was stuck

The helicon and a couple other brass instruments can be seen here at the address below

I've figured out is was made by Cerveny but haven't found out much more than that. I was hoping some of the Sages out there could shed a little more info on this horn. I'm considering buying it and am trying to decide if it is worth it. Also looking for more ammunition to convince my wife it is worth it. She's pretty good about it and is pretty understanding, but I already spent some chunk of change getting a 1920 Holton Eb fixed up.

Things I'd like to know:

If fixed up, how would it sound? What is this horn's reputation? What kind of ensembles is it's sound appropriate for.
I play in a Community band and occasionally play in German and Dixieland bands (would like to do more of the latter two).

How old is it? My parents didn't see any serial #, I can't find a listing to check against anyway. I was hoping someone could
tell based on it's features.

What would it cost to make playable? Can it be made playable?
It would need the missing slide, lever assemblies for 2 valves, and a bit for the mouthpiece (if that is the correct terminology)

How difficult would it be to find spare parts? As opposed to making them.

Of course the standard question, what would you pay for it?

Thank you all for your help.

Philip "not lurkin' no more" Jensen

The store also had a 3 and a 4 Rotary valve Euph/Baritone but they haven't got the film developed yet but will post them as well when I get them.

Follow Ups: