"Gee, your instrument sounds nice"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eve on February 08, 2001 at 10:22:03:

...following is part of "anon"'s thoughtful post (part of a sub-plot) in the

"Human Error in Tuba Making" Thread lower on the BBS.

On a fairly regular basis I have other tubists comment on how nice my instrument sounds. Initially this was very nice and I took pride in my choice in instruments but this has begun to grow very thin. I have offered to let those same tubists to play my horn and they either turn me down or sound the same as they do on their 'cheap' horn. When I play their instruments I always sound the same as I do on my own. Yet these comments continue.

I actually caught myself downplaying the playing characteristics of my instruments the other day. This is aggravating because I actually happen to like my horns a lot and know for a fact that when they sound like crap it is completely my fault and that they will only do what I tell them to do. YET, when I do something right I have people comment on how great my horn is. I want to be allowed to like my horns and take some modicum of pride(in a humble way) in the way they sound. Is this unreasonable? I am begining to consider trading my horns in for something 'cheap' just so people won't blame the horn when I do something right.

The more I think about this the more confused I become. When someone comments on the sound of my instrument am I supposed to brag about my instrument? Say, 'thank you for noticing how great my instrument is'? It's not the instrument folks! I had a little bit to do with it too. ;b

End quote
---------------------------------------------------

I wish for the life of me I could remember which famous violinist it was. But the anecdote (which is true) is basically about a critic or journalist (or someone) approaching the violinist after his performance and saying something like;

"That instrument sounds truly wonderful"

The violinist held the instrument up to his hear, paused, and replied;

"I don't hear anything -- do you?"

There, I think that could just possibly be the ideal come-back.

Eve

Follow Ups: