Re: Re: Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on February 03, 2001 at 00:58:38:

In Reply to: Re: Teachers posted by From Curious on February 02, 2001 at 23:43:24:

I believe you're not getting the "answers" you want because your questions seem rather enigmatic. I have studied seriously with 4 different professors and neither of them had in their mission statement at the top of their syllabus what school of thought they subscribe to in regards to the movement of the jaw or lip firmness. It's just not that important I don't think. Most university teachers are concerned with what is coming out of your bell and the development of the muscle in your head. As long as there is no severe problem in your setup, and the results you're getting are desireable, few teachers are inclined to "force" you to make a change in your approach because they say so. All of our mouths, jaws, teeth and tongue are different. This variability makes it unwise to dissect a student's physical setup to make it "Just Like Mike's". Chances are, if you have a good sound and clean articulation, everything inside is just fine. What did Mr. Jacobs say? Don't mess around under the hood, just drive.

I'm "Curious" as to where you are in your musical growth? Are you in high school? Community College? If you are going to be an undergraduate, choose a school with a strong tuba school but also a music program that is strong all the way around with great facilities (Michigan, Indiana, Florida State, to name just a few). I think your focus in the undergraduate years should be more holistic (great theory, ear training and history deparments). For graduate work, gravitate towards teachers you are especially attracted to or those who have a reputation for fostering successful alumni. Take bits and pieces from every instructor you come across and develop your own "school" of tuba playing.

The posters who were kind enough to give you a reply were all sincere in their advice. Rethink your notion of these schools of jaw movement and orifice expansion. Most if not all successful instructors ascribe to the school of great sound and musicianship. This should be your focus as well.

DAve

Follow Ups: