Re: Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by cat on February 02, 2001 at 13:11:16:

In Reply to: Teachers posted by Curious on February 02, 2001 at 00:33:44:

Check everyone out, which you must do before making a decision, obviously. Sometimes the people you may least expect to work for you can teach you the best. I believe that as a player you must find the person with the approach that works best with you. When you find that teacher, be grateful. My teacher now is the first tuba teacher I've had in my life, and I am a graduate student! But because of the patience this person has, and willingness to give me a chance at this thing we call tuba, it is a good situation for me. I in turn have a ton of respect for him, which is a necessity when finding a teacher.
I truly believe that what others tell you is irrelevant, we all have different ways of learning, and different problems to fix. You must find what works for you. Don't eliminate anyone. If I had limited myself to certain schools, I would have lost out on a great teacher. It depends on your background of course, but my advice is to just take the time and research everyone who even remotely interests you. Everything else will fall into place.
As everyone is saying, the end goal is what you and your teacher should focus on. Whatever your horn, mouthpiece, or how you think of your embouchre, choose a person that has an interest in leading you to your ultimate goal, whatever it may be.
Just my opinion.

Follow Ups: