Re: Tracking progress

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on February 29, 2000 at 19:12:50:

In Reply to: Tracking progress posted by John on February 29, 2000 at 17:47:11:

I don't know him. In fact I've never met him, but with guys like these bios get bounced around. A couple tuba journals ago Scott Mendoker interviewed Tony and it was a damn fine article. If you can, go find it. Anyone remember which issue?
From what I can recall, he's from St. Louis, or at least he studied with Pokorny during high school and while home on breaks during college. He went to ASU to study with Perantoni (of f***ing course) and split his time between Dan and the grad assistant. I believe he only had one year there and wound up on the Honolulu Symphony.
Side note here: The trombone prof at my school was in Honolulu at the time Tony was in the group, and she was nutty about his playing.
Eventually he wound up winning the Indianapolis Symphony gig and that's where he is now.

Please check out the article in the Journal, as all my info is from there and only coming off the top of my head. Needless to say, this is a very specially gifted and hard working musician. A lot of young players of that talent get burned out and give it up for good.

Anyone out there actually know Tony? Can you give more/ more accurate info?

Follow Ups: