Re: Re: Getting Older

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Pro Who Knows' Old Student on February 28, 2000 at 16:54:43:

In Reply to: Re: Getting Older posted by A pro who knows on February 28, 2000 at 11:21:40:

Getting older for me means that I'm starting to understand what people told me when I was younger. If I'm reading the signs correctly, I took lessons from this pro many years ago. Maybe, three lessons, or something like that. In all the years since then, the wisdom in those lessons eases into my playing a little at a time. I don't play professionally, and life's other choices limit my playing to bits and pieces, so the learning happens slowly.

The biggest change in me has been my standards. I fear I'm a worse player now than when I was in high school, but I suspect the truth is that my standards have grown faster than my chops.

Those changing standards haven't been all good. Once upon a time, when I joined a community band, I was happy to be there, and I didn't notice lack of musicianship around me. Now, when a group doesn't click, it's downright annoying. It limits my playing choices.

I've also changed from a submerged section player to someone with more confidence. A few years ago, I was asked to sight-read the important bass trombone part of Festive Overture on my F tuba, in the absence of the regular player. The old me wouldn't have done it. It was considered a sign of the new me that I did (and got the job done). I wasn't a better player, just more willing to depend on my ability to push the envelope.

Follow Ups: