Re: MW2165 - how versatile is it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on February 28, 2000 at 00:29:01:

In Reply to: MW2165 - how versatile is it? posted by Interested buyer on February 27, 2000 at 19:49:11:

I've played Prokofiev 5 on a smaller horn (mirafone 188) in a very dry acoustic. I sure wish I had had a 2165 to play it on - be thankful. In Prokofiev's orchestration, the tuba is often times treated as a sort super bass to the orchestra. I've played percussion in this piece, and sat out in the audience numerous times as well. I honestly think nobody is going to care about your Bb to D slur - that's just my opinion. The main thing is to produce a big sound - well intune, and don't drag the phrases that go up into the upper middle range (the big tune - you know what I'm talkin' about). Maybe a smaller, more funnel type Helleberg m.p. might help with those slurs (?). Masur and the N.Y. Phil. have a recording of Prokofiev 5th with Warren Deck playing on (I presume - I might be wrong) his 2165. It's on the Teldec label, and shouldn't be too hard to find. You might want to give that a listen. To be honest, his slurs aren't perfect in it either - but you can sure hear him!
Barry

Follow Ups: