Re: Re: what's up with orchestral playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on February 27, 2000 at 11:38:31:

In Reply to: Re: what's up with orchestral playing? posted by Morgster on February 27, 2000 at 02:39:27:

The Military Band field is a good option but one must remmeber that the Washington based bands are a totaly different animal than the field bands of each service. The field bands do have some incredibale players but their mission is a little different than the Washinton based bands. I am an alumnus of the Marine Corps Band field and of the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. I spent time with the 2nd Marine division Band at Camp Lejeune and with The Marine Drum and Bugle Corps in Washington. Each field unit depending on where it is based is deployed according to the needs of the base and then also as a recruitment tool. I was a Tuba major and Bass minor which during my tour was required of the job. I did get opurtunity to play in various ensembles but the meat and potatoes where change of commands, mess nights, morning colors and other military functions. I was fortunate to have an enlisted Band leader that was an excelent Big Band Director so consequently we had a great stage band. The only down side to being in the military band field was that you may have set up a great life in North Carolina only to be transfered to Okinawa. Once you get into a Washington Based unit, unless you really mess up or you choose to go elsewhere, that is were you stay. That makes a big difference in your carrer and plans especially when it comes to a family. All Marine field units and The Marine D&B are made up of Boot camp trained Marines which means that you are a Grunt Ground pounder Jar Heads first and a musician second! The Presidents own is alot different. While alot of the members might be former field musicians not all are. Some of the ranks have come right out of college and put on the uniform and not gone to Boot. If you are a Marine Corps Gung Ho purist this can be a bit disconcerning. It never bothered me because like I said earlier the Marine Band in Washinton is a Different animal all together. I never have gotten to the Musical ability to be able to play in the President's Own but I will never regret trying. The Commandants' Own is nothing to scoff at either. There are some really fine Marine musicians in that group too! There are alot of Field Band jobs open as long as your up to the task.......The same pratice that might land you a job in an Orchestra is the same work that would get you any other playing job.
Randy Mac

Follow Ups: