Re: Eb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on February 27, 2000 at 10:32:35:

In Reply to: Eb tuba posted by Kristian on February 27, 2000 at 04:48:35:

Eb Tubas have been making a comeback. Besson (Boosey and Hawkes) had always been the premier leader of Eb Tubas. Their model 981 and 982 Sovereigns are pretty much the standard in British Brass Bands. Both these models are compensating tubas with 3 top action valves, and one side action valve. I've owned 2 of these Sovereigns and was pleased with both of them, although they have a tendency to be stuffy in the lower range. Some top pros use these horns to include Steve Sykes. Also John Fletcher used them. Several other brands have made similar quality Eb tubas over the last 15 years including Yamaha, Miraphone, Willson, etc. How they play compared to the Bessons I don't know. Besson has a new model 983 that has 4 front action compensating valves. The compensating horns are pretty much the "in" thing among eefers; however if you want to save some bucks I'd check into some of the older Conns, Yorks, Buesher or Martin large bore big Eb's. You don't have the convenience of the intonation in the low register that the compensating horns have, but you don't have the stuffiness in the low register and you won't have the price tag either.

Follow Ups: