Re: Teacher's Responsibility

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on February 26, 2000 at 12:29:28:

In Reply to: Teacher's Responsibility posted by Former Student on February 25, 2000 at 18:46:27:

I agree with many of these more experienced teachers who have already commented on this problem. To be an effective college music instructor, one has to realize that there is much more to the picture than just notes on a page or teaching someone proper breathing technique. The student's performance is affected by the whole situation in his life at this time when he or she is away from the nest for the first time and so many factors are coming into play as this young adult is trying to get a grasp on reality in this microcosm of the "real world". Another thing that I've noticed along the way, unless I'm just fooling myself, is that it seems that the further we get away from my Dad's WWII generation, that kids are increasingly becoming less and less responsible and more in need of parental guidance than ever before. The teacher that I think affected me the most was a trumpet teacher who I had taken from my first year of this small college I attended, even though he might not have been the ideal tuba instructor for me in the long term, he was very much an"in your face" kind of person who was very strong on fundamentals and forced me to get my act together musically and otherwise, and was very inspirational in making me realize I could do something with what talent I had and take it far in the great "unknown world" of professional music.

Follow Ups: