Re: Teacher's Responsibility

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 25, 2000 at 20:56:29:

In Reply to: Teacher's Responsibility posted by Former Student on February 25, 2000 at 18:46:27:

I have to agree with Tony. In my studio, I am more than just a tuba player/teacher. I try to be as much of a mentor to my students as I can because my primary goal is to see that they leave college with the hope of being happy as well as successful. As much as I can affect that, including the occasional kick in the butt to help them avoid trouble, I try to guide my students through college with an eye toward what comes afterwards. I will never sit idly by and watch a student crash and burn. It just isn't productive for the student and it doesn't do me or the school any good either! Besides, as a teacher I don't feel ethically right about doing nothing to help a troubled student. How can I say to a student "I care about you" and expect them to invest in my teachings if I won't invest in them as people? Not only do I have to show the student that I know what I'm talking about, but I have to prove to the student that I care about how they do with the tuba. I've always believed the old axiom, "actions speak louder than words". When a student sees that you care, they will work harder for you and that benefits both you and the student. Productive relationships are a big key to successful teaching situations.

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: