Re: Military Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on February 25, 2000 at 20:18:30:

In Reply to: Military Bands posted by Farah on February 25, 2000 at 16:42:13:

farah, thanks for sharing your insights. I feel I can speak with a little knowledge on this subject. I was a member of the Army band System for 11 years. I was never in Washington, I auditioned at a line band with the old Watkins-Farhnam audtion book. I loved each and every minute of my first 9 1/2 years in the system. I taught at the School and was staff musician in Atlanta, Seoul, ROK, and Hampton, VA. I have to warn many prospective military banders. The competition to get into a premier band is as tough as getting a seat in an orchestra. I auditioned numerous times and made finals a couple, but never got the brass ring. Great players show up at these auditions. You have to be the total package, boatloads of technique, a great sound, and A DIVERSITY OF STYLES(military people will understand). I will support the rank and file bands with all my heart. Every Army band is a good performing unit. Some of the best tuba players I have worked with are in line/Division/AG/MACOM bands. Guys like Lee Stofer, Mark Stauffer, Dave Dorrough, and Dave Witt(please forgive me if I left your name out) are as good a player as they come. Do not look forget to look at all your options, you can have a great playing experience outside of Washington!!! It can be very humbling, too. Lee Stofer can tell you about my first couple of ceremonies at Ft. Mac, not a pretty sight. Aim high, DC, along with the academies, are the Mecca of Military bands, but never rule out the others, those bands are populated by some great players. And the incentives to get you in are incredible. All of you who need your loans paid back should run to your nearest Army Recruiter!!!! Trust me, it was a great way of life.

Follow Ups: