Re: Keep your tuba up?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cazz on February 25, 2000 at 06:47:07:

In Reply to: Keep your tuba up? posted by Matt A on February 23, 2000 at 22:32:03:

I recommend discretion and common sense -- good parameters for most things !

Respect your colleagues and the music.

I find that if one of my brass colleages may have an important/sensitive "solo" line, or whatever, I will refrain from putting my horn down on either its bow or bell (or across lap) until this part of the music has been executed. Likewise, I will refrain from picking up the horn, for the same reasons of NOT providing distraction the focus of my colleague(s)...(If I have to play immediately after whatever has been "sensitive", I'll make sure I've picked up the horn BEFORE).

In our pit, the brass sit in two lines, and we're all VERY close to each other... so it is not only the bass trombonist to whom I show this respect.

I expect similar treatment in return when I wish to focus and the rest of the brass are not playing... their instruments are more portable, so I really mean I expect the same treatment in allowing me to focus...rather than literally insisting that they not touch/move their horns...

As for how many bars (measures) or seconds/minutes, well (if the above is not pertinent to the situation) then the usual rule would be whichever is more convenient. i.e. if it is more hassle to put the horn on its bell, then pick it up again... might as well just hang on to it ! (A time-and-motion study.)

Cazz

P.S. As alluded to in the other posts in this thread... the same principle should apply to muting and un-muting for tubists (if possible!!!!!)

Follow Ups: