Re: First time Tuba buyer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by doubler on February 23, 2000 at 17:36:09:

In Reply to: First time Tuba buyer posted by David on February 23, 2000 at 17:05:06:

Congrats to your daughter! Where will she be attending school?

There are numerous choices when buying a tuba, including the key, the make, new or used, silver or lacquer, rotary or piston, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4. The Yamaha 641 is, from my second-hand understanding, a middle-of-the-road German-style rotary 4/4. Some folks really like the Yamahas, other folks hate them vehemently. Other makers of this type instrument would include Miraphone, Meinl-Weston, VMI and Cerveny, among others. These horns are made in BBb, CC, Eb and F, but as a principle horn for college she will need a CC or possibly a BBb (this will be probably be debated in this thread, for the MILLIONTH time -- I'm a late-comer to the CC camp, personally).

In my opinion, your first step is to the tuba prof at the college she'll be attending. He can tell you any personal likes (and, just as importantly, dislikes), and should certainly be asked to play-test the instrument before the deal is finalized. BTW, plan to pay his instructional fee for this advice. It is money well spent for you, and will keep your daughter in his good graces.

You will also find very scrupulous individuals on this BBS. If you see a preponderance of opinion in one direction, you can bank on it pretty well.

P.S. Tony Clements is selling a Meinl-Weston 37, which is an excellent CC instrument in the class you're looking for, offered at what I believe to be an excellent price. See the post below, "Tuba for Sale". I do not know Mr. Clements personally, but if you want to know something about him follow the links for "Musicians" and page down to "Tony Clements".

Good Luck!

Follow Ups: