Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by doubler on February 22, 2000 at 11:05:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic posted by doubler on February 22, 2000 at 00:31:07:

I didnt' know whether to put this under Farah's or Jay's posting, so I just put it under my own.

You certainly bring up cases where the best paid may not be the best musician, so on an individualized basis I will agree that you can make no assumptions. Still, I would say that in order to get into ANY pro orchestra, you must be one of the very best. As we have said on this list a jillion times, when you start to choose between the 100 or so best players (and a somewhat larger number in the case of horn :), you're talking about personal tastes more than anything else. There is a wide chasm that separates those who have made it into a decent-or-better paying gig and those of us who would starve if we had to make a living playing. To bring it back to the original point, the money goes to the real players, as it should, even if it is not always fairly distributed AMONG those real players.

I always learn something here. Thanks, Jay and Farah.

Follow Ups: