Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on February 21, 2000 at 20:40:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic posted by HS-in all maturity on February 21, 2000 at 19:16:44:

$75/hour is a fairly standard hourly rate right now for the top teachers. Union base scale per hour for musicians is nearly the same rate. Not sure why you think this to be too high. Psychiatrists, some auto mechanics, and even golf lessons can easily be over that amount. For $75/hour you can hire one of the most experienced and talented musicians in the world to give you a one on one lesson on what it takes to become an employable artist.

The cost people charge is based on the demands of their time. I can tell you, that it is not really worth my time to ignore my family, my practice time, my little leasure time, and my business affairs for an entire hour to teach an individual for only $25. I would rather let most individuals keep their money and me use that hour to hike a trail or visit a museum.

Your argument that there is nothing you could learn worth $75/hour may indeed be true. If you are at a point in your musical voyage that a grad student at $25/hour could have much to offer you, then maybe $75/hour is not a necessary weekly or bimonthly expense. However, as your skills and art develop, finding a teacher who can bring you to the next level becomes more challenging. The few individuals which have achieved exceptional positions in our profession have high demands on their time. This translates into higher costs for all their services.

How much money do you think Jim Self can make in a 1 hour studio recording session? Probably more than $75! Now, where does someone like that set their hourly lesson rate? Is $25/hr really reasonable? Is $75/hr really unreasonable?

sean chisham

Follow Ups: