Re: The Best?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on February 21, 2000 at 20:00:32:

In Reply to: The Best? posted by Matt A on February 21, 2000 at 10:57:08:

Let me see if I give give you some perspective. I left a gig last night. I was working with a wonderful Hispanic trumpet player who asked me if I wanted to hear one of the greatest tuba players around. Always up for a new experience, I said yes. I ended up in a bar in a predominately Hispanic part of town that was featuring a band that specialized in Ranchero music. Along with the accordions, etc was this guy playing a sousaphone, or what was left of it. The bottom bow just before the section that goes into the bell was replaced with flexible hose with clamps and glue. The bell was totally shot and the slide were duct taped together. This guy played more music on that POS than alot of cats with good equipment. He was the best Ranchero tuba player I had ever heard. No one could have played as well as he did, not even Mr.Bobo, Mr. Jacobs, or any other big cat. It's all a matter of perspective. This is a 100% true story. I can't spell the bands name, but it translated to something like Bordermen. They were from Southern California(LA, I think) and the tuba player was a car mechanic. It's all a matter of prespective.

Follow Ups: