Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by doubler on February 21, 2000 at 16:37:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tuba for sale posted by Doug on February 21, 2000 at 15:50:32:

Sorry, but this is just goofy. Tubas have cork or neoprene bumpers that will, if in good shape, prevent clanking. And if your third valve tubing vibrates, you have loose solder joints. These are simple and minor issues, and inexpensive to remedy. No pro is going to have these problems for long, because their tools are their livelihood. Besides, if you want to ask if the valves clank or if their are any buzzing joints, just ask!! Can you imagine talking to someone about buying their car and asking for a recording of the engine so you can listen for problems?!? Finally, I will direct you to the original post: "OUTSTANDING condition" the man said.

Good questions to ask? How about these:

"Is that your personal instrument?" (if so, it was picked by a pro as a particularly good example of the model).

"Are there any significant dents?"

"Has it been overhauled? How long ago?" (recent overhaul doesn't necessarily mean good things; it may mean it came back playing 'different' than when it went in).

"What tuning peculiarities have you encountered with this instrument?" (you may well have different experience with the same instrument, but there is at least SOME chance that tuning will be similar for different players)

"In what venues or playing styles have you used the instrument?" (this question may be helpful if you aren't familiar with the model in question and want to know more about its sound characteristics).

I stand by my original statement, this is an unrealistic request for a recording that will tell the buyer nothing (except how good Tony is!)

Follow Ups: