Re: Re: Memorizing etudes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on February 20, 2000 at 22:47:57:

In Reply to: Re: Memorizing etudes posted by Jay Bertolet on February 18, 2000 at 09:37:48:

Two interesting viewpoints at my music school:
Our tuba prof is playing the Vaughn Williams with the orchestra next month. He's a fantastic soloist, and it's his primary interest along with chamber music. All the faculty and guests with the orchestra for the past few years played from memory. My teacher is using music and when we asked him about this he joked that "having the music never hurts my performances."

Our flute prof. insists that until you can play a piece from memory, you don't REALLY know it. The tuba studio here is decent, with a few amazing and succesful alumni. The flute studio here is fantastic from top nearly to bottom.

Double standards are everywhere, especially for tuba/euphonium players.
I don't hold a stead fast position on this one, but memorization doesn't seem to hinder performers on the traditional "solo" instruments. Maybe we should give this a shot with more than just an etude here and an excerpt there. If it winds up not working after a year, then at least we can say we really gave it a fair shot.

Follow Ups: