Re: Buying tubas for Brass Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andrew M. Oliver on February 20, 2000 at 16:56:28:

In Reply to: Buying tubas for Brass Band posted by George on February 19, 2000 at 19:07:19:

Hi I am a Tuba player in England, home of the Brass Bands, and have played in many of the top band including Black Dyke and Grimethorpe. I mainly play with orchestras but living in the North of England it is hard not to get sucked in, although the top few bands are fantastic to play with - good stamia & volume practice!! In the UK 99.99% of the bands use Besson Sovereigns EEb (982's) & BBb (994's) but I must say that I prefer the 983's and 993's. At present they are too new and the Banders are shall we say not keen on chance!! May be one day?

I studied at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester (www.rncm.ac.uk) and have a number of excellent links with Boosey & Hawkes. I must add that I do sell the odd Tuba to order for as I am sure you know all professional musicians have to support their living with other means!!

If you are interested in chating more than please feel free to email me any questions you may have.

All the best and I look forwar to hearing from you

Andrew

Follow Ups: