Re: YBB-641 vs. YBB-201

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on February 19, 2000 at 11:19:31:

In Reply to: YBB-641 vs. YBB-201 posted by Rob T on February 18, 2000 at 23:20:39:

WEEEELLLLLLLLL... Can I modify the post from Jay?

How beat up is "pretty beat up"? If it is only cosmetic, I'm 100% in agreement. Four is better than three.

If "pretty beat up" means air leaks or difficult valves, I'd say go with the one that sounds or works better. (I have been the tuba advocate for the local high school and town band and I've seen some pretty horrific horns)

You don't mention what grade level you are at school or what is the level your school music program. In my (admittedly humble) experience, the range for the repertoire at a pretty good, but not too aggressive, high school music program is from Bb at the top of the bass clef staff to F on the fourth leger line below the staff. That range is certainly do-able on a three valve BBb, although a fourth valve helps with fingering and intonation problems.

You also don't mention how serious you are about playing. If you are a recreational player, I stand by the comments above. If you have intentions or pretensions of playing seriously and your current choice is between a beat 641 or a new 201, it's time for you to take a job and buy your own - definitely 4 valves and (if high school) probably BBb.

Consider this advice to be worth only a little more than you paid for it.

Follow Ups: